Why will people come? There responses might include:
- I don’t want to be alone.
- I want to be with friends whom I love and trust.
- I want to be in a safe place.
- I would be all alone if I stayed home.
- There is too much chaos going on at home. I want peace and quiet for a few moments.
- I would be lonely if I stayed home.
- My usual plans didn’t materialize.
- The plans I hoped for didn’t work out.
- I have happy memories of past Christmases but this one is different, and being at church is a good ‘different’ plan.
- I always find God in church.
- My church friends give me peace.
I believe people will also come because of what we have in common, which the angel told the shepherds: ‘Do not be afraid; for see—I am bringing you good news of great joy for all people; to you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord.’